Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Today's Challenge Left Over Mashed Potatoes!

First I had to look up how long mashed potatoes keep in the fridge... I don't want to poison myself in this process. LOL  After Googling the answer... a week max... I was ready to start.. This is what I found in my fridge. Four pieces of bacon...(still good, I smelled it), two big pieces of French Bread...(it's not the super crusty kind it's soft but it's getting crusty) some shredded colby jack (about 1 cup), (left over from taco night) dried parsley, salt, a small onion and a dollop of Greek yogurt plain (about half cup).
 Okay, so I have an idea what to do...

You know those yummy loaded potato bites that a famous food chain has?  I'm going for something like that.  Okay, so I'm not a chef, so I definitely will research ratioes and I don't have any eggs right now.  The eggs are for binding the mixture together, so if the mash is holding together I should be okay.  I Googled Loaded Potato bites and I'm pretty spot on... so I chop the onion real fine.  Crumble the bacon (mmmm bacon- Homer Simpson voice) and put everything in the bowl except the bread.
My mashed potatoes already had chives, butter,  skim milk and salt when I made them...so I was light with the salt.
Coat Generously!
I toasted the bread and put it in my mini chopper with 1/2 tsp parsley and a pinch of salt. Voila! Bread crumbs!  I put a nice round scoop in the midst of the crumbs and coated generously!  I then covered my pan with aluminium foil for easy clean up and put a small pat of butter on each one... what i lost in the skimmed milk I gained with the butter... Oy.
I made them as big as a crab cake...LOL


I was able to make six of them! 
Then into a 350 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes, I wanted them to be thoroughly heated through since I made them so jagundo! (a friends word that I love)
I didn't want to fry them, because unless they are super coated, and by that I mean, dipped in egg and dredged, they tend to absorb alot of oil...and I'm trying to eat a little healthy... (I know, BACON!)
Well now it's time to taste it...




Watch me scarf it down.... LOL



That's a scary face...right there... sheeeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments!