Thursday, January 12, 2012

Carrot Ginger and Cumin Soup

Looking in my fridge today and I'm certainly low on provisions.  I didn't shop when I started this project, but sticking to my guns, I'm going to use what I have until I can't possibly create a recipe... It will get tricky in the next few days.  I have one onion, no fresh vegetables or fresh meat, but we will cross that bridge when I get to it.   This is what I have on hand today... so I'm looking forward to a yummy meal with this one, chock full of favor and vitamins to boot!

This is an adapted recipe with things I happen to have on hand. The lemon and honey is a new addition to a timeless recipe.

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour 15 min.
Serves: 2 (bowls) or 4 (cups)


  • One bag baby carrots (1 lb)
  • 2 TBSP half and half
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 1 Cup Chopped Onion
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 squeeze of lemon for brightness
  • 1 Tsp honey
  • 1 Tsp Cumin
  • 2 Tsp Ginger
  • Dash of Cayenne Pepper
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 4 Cups Water or Chicken Broth/Vegetable Broth (I used water and Tsp chicken boullion powder)  
  • Greek plain yogurt (optional) I almost have it used up!
Saute carrots, onions and garlic in butter until somewhat tender about 10-15 minutes


Add liquid and dried spices and bring to boil then simmer on low heat for an hour... this is a low and slow type recipe.

This lemon was so pretty and fragrant.(I still have a half left)

At the end of cooking add a squeeze of lemon and the honey.

Let cool down a bit and puree until smooth, put back into pot and add the half and half. (you can use cream, whole milk, or coconut milk)
Add salt and pepper to taste.


Add a dollop of Greek yogurt on the top with a sprinkle chives! Fresh would be great but I have dried.

This was really delicious... the lemon gave it a nice brightness at the end... I hope you get to make it!
When it comes to ingredients,
If you don't have it, think outside of the box and come up with a flavor that best compliments the dish...maybe you will find that flavor in a condiment, juice or spice.  The whole idea is to cook with what you have, expand your palate, save money, and not waste food in the process.  

  Are there things that you do in the kitchen? What tips would you like to share? Please share them!  

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love the Clover Farms carton! Great post! I featured ya on my blog today! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shannon! I appreciate the shout out! Love ya too!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments!